Links

made by Leeloumade by Leeloumade by Leeloumade by Leelou

Total Pageviews

If You Want To Contribute To Projects And Research, Every Little Bit Helps!! Thanks!!

Our Visitors


Followers

Topics

Bloggers.com

Bloggers - Meet Millions of Bloggers
http://www.wikio.co.uk
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I did it and you should too. We all turned out "just fine".





     I get SO sick of hearing this excuse for why someone hasn't modernized their ways or why they expect you to follow them down their path.

     I will tell you now, my son seems perfectly fine and healthy and extremely bright and very compassionate. However, I won't raise the next kid in the exact way I raised my son. Why, you ask? Well, for one, my next kid is not my first one. They are different, the same with every other kid on the planet. Therefore, that alone negates that from happening. Different people have different needs and wants and desires. Also, I have changed since having my son and so have the times. What once was thought to be safe might not be at all safe now. For instance, my son had a drop side crib. You know, the same kind outlawed now. My son never had ANY issue with them, but, someones son did.

     My mom wasn't nursed, she also didn't get the benefit of actual formula either. She got some concoction of canned milk. My mom seems fine and healthy, but, ain't no way in hell am I feeding anyone's baby canned milk concoction. Again, my mom is "just fine", but, you wonder how she could have been. I know for a fact that some kids died because their parents fed them concoctions. My mom never had ANY issues with it, but, someones daughter did.

     The other point I wanted to make is this, yes, you may have done (X,Y or Z) and turned out just fine for thousands of generations, but, that doesn't mean every other person on the planet can do it even once and everything work out so perfect. Sure, you can suggest your way, but, don't get so caught up in "your way" that you can't see the new research against it or the warnings against it. Just because no one in your family has been hurt by it, doesn't mean that it can never happen to any other family. By all means, do the research yourself if someone is questioning your ways. Decide if the risk is something you are willing to continue to take.

     BTW, I hear this mentioned a lot when I talk against "Babywise", CIO, cereal in a bottle, rearfacing past 12 months, trying to avoid inductions or c-sections, trying to make it to at least 40 weeks, sleep training, co-sleeping and many, many other things. It is ridiculous how defensive people get. No need to shoot the messenger for spreading the info. Just do your research and decide for your family instead of attempting to decide for mine.
 

Keep in mind...one person can huff paint for YEARS and be "just fine", but, a LOT of people can huff paint ONCE and fall over dead instantly.

8 comments:

  1. Excellent Post!!! Very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen.
    I also point out to people that we are NOT fine. As a society we are anything but fine. We are disease ridden, obese and ironically, malnourished. We got that way because of the mistakes, misinformation and naivety of our parents' generation. Now that we know more and continue to learn more , aren't we obligated to make better decisions for the next generation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hear! Hear! I say this all the time about spanking. I'm from the Midwest where it is still very prevalent to spank or smack your kids. I constantly reply, "We're not all OK. We all have issues. Are my issues because I was spanked as a child? I have no idea. But I do know that we have more knowledge than we did then and better ways to quickly get that information. I'm going to use all that information to try to help my child. Because don't we all want our children to have better than we did?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this post! I get this ALL THE TIME! We ate this, drank this, slept on this....and on and on...and we turned out just fine! But we are NOT just fine! Kids are sicker and sicker, moms my age are getting caners younger and younger and these cancers are more and more deadly....there is a rise in SO many disease! WE ARE NOT FINE! We just want people to educate themselves...and realize in the last 50 years 80,000 new chemicals have been introduced into our bodies and environment. Our products are NOT the same as they were when we were kids. Parents have the right to make their won choices for their families and we would never presume to tell people what to do....but we DO want people to have the information so they can make the best decision they can with all the facts! Thanks for the GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post! I was spanked as a child and I am in NO WAY just fine!

    ReplyDelete